In America the drug overdose death rate rose from 6.1 per 100,000 in 1999 to 16.3 per 100,000 in 2015, an increase of 167%.
- CDC, Drug Poisoning Mortality: United States, 1999–2015
- "In 2014, the overdose death rate for whites ages 25 to 34 was five times its level in 1999, and the rate for 35- to 44-year-old whites tripled during that period. The numbers cover both illegal and prescription drugs."
- - Gina Kolata and Sarah Cohenjan, Drug Overdoses Propel Rise in Mortality Rates of Young Whites, NYT, Jan. 16, 2016
- Drug overdoses are now the leading cause of death among Americans under 50.
- - JOSH KATZ, Drug Deaths in America Are Rising Faster Than Ever, NYT, JUNE 5, 2017