Globalization is a good example of "progress" driven by economic calculations that overlook significant externalities.
- What biologists discovered turned out to be even more frightening: the reappearance of a parasite known as the New World screwworm fly that had not been seen in the United States since the 1970s and had been considered eradicated. ...
- “In the very big picture, this is just the latest example of our failure to adequately protect people, agriculture and the environment from consequences of a shrinking world, an interconnected word,” said Adam Putnam, Florida’s commissioner of agriculture. “Millions of cargo containers and millions of passengers arrive every year, entering and exiting Florida and bringing unwelcome pests and disease with them.”
- - Frances Robles, A Long-Gone Parasite Returns to Florida, Leaving a Trail of Dead Deer, NYT, Nov. 25, 2016
- But trade is not a zero-sum game. China can thrive and rise, and we can, too, at the same time. That’s what’s been happening for the past 40 years.
- - Thomas L. Friedman, China and Trump, Listen Up!, NYT, Nov. 13, 2018